Providing students with the opportunity to change their lives and prepare for the future.
5200 Delaware Ave
Nashville, TN 37209
Henry Johnson, Coordinator
Transition serves students in grades 9-12 who are returning from short term incarceration. The focus will be on rebuilding their academic and social skills to allow for a smooth transition into an academic setting that will allow students to meet graduation requirements.
CODE OF CONDUCT
THREE PRIMARY COMPONENTS OF THE PROGRAM
- I will contribute to a safe environment both physically and emotionally.
- I will actively participate in my education and contribute to the education of all students
- I will demonstrate respect to all students and staff.
GOALS OF THE PROGRAM
- Academic Recovery
- Instruction is individualized for each student using A+ curriculum. Students earn credits which are then transferred to their appropriate school.
- Behavior Intervention
- Students are assessed upon entering the program and behavioral needs and concerns are addressed.
- Social Development
- Students will be challenged to evaluate life choices and how these decisions affect their future.
- To provide all students with the opportunity for a successful learning experience.
- To provide instructional methods to fit the varied learning styles of each student.
- To foster feelings of confidence and success where students can grow academically, socially, and emotionally.
- To assist students in making progress towards completing high school, determining a career plan, planning for the future, and stopping the cycle of recidivism.
EFFFECTIVE STRATEGIES FOR ADDRESSING THE UNIQUE NEEDS OF INCARCERATED YOUTHS
- Approximately 550 juveniles are booked at the Davidson County Juvenile Detention Center. (Approximately 280 are detained).
- The average length of stay is 3-5 days (length of stay may vary).
- Juveniles are identified as either detained (Felony Offender) or non-detained (status offense or misdemeanor offense).
- Addressing the Academic Needs of Delinquent Youth
- Partnership and Collaboration of Interagency and Interdisciplinary Groups
- Improving the Academic Performances and Higher Expectations
- Providing an Integrated and Holistic Curriculum
- Credit Recovery Programs
- Safe and Positive School Atmosphere
- Parent Involvement
- Community and Business